Healthcare Management and Policy, Public Health Leadership
Information Science, Latin American Studies, Global Studies, Public Affairs
Political Science, Honors Program
- Built and executed virtual campaign strategies for SEIU-United Healthcare Workers West, Change to Win Federation, and Public Counsel Law Center ballot initiatives
- Designed and coded websites, such as “Warehouse Workers United” for the Change to Win Federation and “Fix School Discipline” for Public Counsel Law Center
- Developed clients to ensure sustainability of successful virtual campaigns through coaching on grassroots organizing methods and training on fundamental technological skills
- Researched partners and market of potential services for beneficiaries of “Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals” policy
* Service Employees International Union- United Health Workers West (SEIU-UHW), a California union made up of 150,000 healthcare workers
* Public Counsel Law Center, the nation's largest pro-bono law firm
* Change to Win, leadership council members include presidents of United Farm Workers, Service Employees International Union, United Food and Commercial Workers, and International Brotherhood of Teamsters
- Facilitated federal and foundation grant application and management with research scientists and principal investigators to address structural violence in Chicago.
- Participated in publishing original research in peer reviewed publications and coordination of programs.
- Facilitate process improvement and team building efforts with faculty, staff, and community stakeholders across the multi-million dollar triad Center led by Northeastern Illinois University, the Robert H. Lurie Comprehensive Cancer Center of Northwestern University, and the University of Illinois at Chicago.
- Spearheading management and planning for strategic planning sessions and associated change management to ensure cross-institutional alignment and momentum.
- Manage cancer equity profession pipeline program for undergraduate students and recent graduates by building and honing partnerships across Chicagoland.
- Write evidence-based research papers on cancer disparities, population health, parenting skills, and obstetrics and gynecology-related topics
The Performance Improvement Consultant is a key resource in driving Toyota Production System (TPS)-based performance improvement across the value streams within the hospital. This position will be responsible for teaching and coaching directors and front-line staff in regards to the application of Lean as a business strategy to solve problems. The Consultant will also collect and summarize performance data, identifies opportunities for improvement, and presents findings.
· Leads high level, cross functional teams through improvement events using a knowledge transfer model. Ensures implementation runs smoothly and that gains are sustained through Lean management system coaching.
· Assists Performance Excellence leadership in regards to annual strategy deployment cycle including the development and deployment of A3s and the check/adjust process.
· Helps management through the identification of value streams and creates the vision for pull-based work flows through those value streams.
· Captures and performs analysis of actionable accurate performance data.
· Serves as general subject matter expert for projects and project teams.
· Coordinates all activities related to the implementation and execution of continuous improvement processes.
· Teaches Lean concepts for every cycle of the Leadership development including the Stanford Operating System certification program.
· Ensures existing processes maintain a high level of performance while continuously reviewing and refine those processes to make additional improvements.
- Collected and analyzed data through process walks, patient questionnaires, Voice of the Staff/MD, Press-Ganey reports, work unit routing analyses
- Taught waste, standard work, steady flow modules to frontline staff, MDs, and leadership
- Created a pull toolkit for Champion, a chronic condition management initiative, for swift adoption of standard work, staffing recommendations, and front-line communication
- Lead consultant managing cross-divisional improvement projects, culminating in the development of a Medical Assistant Residency Program, improved In Basket management processes, etc
- Coached Vice Presidents on Access improvements to prepare for cross-divisional Access Event
- Organized cross-divisional Access Event for top leadership, featuring World Café sessions and A3 thinking poster presentations by frontline MD and operations manager
- Empowered frontline staff and cross-divisional leadership with key lean technical skills, such as A3 critical thinking, Frontline Improvement (FLI) tools, gemba coaching through kata questions, and Daily Engagement System (DES)
- Created Critical-to-Quality visuals, a Voice of the Patient screenplay, Visio swim lane diagrams, process flow maps, infographics to crisply communicate new processes
- Supported Lean Promotion Office departmental growth by bringing guest speakers (e.g. Vice President of Education to discuss community outreach) for a weekly learnings series for consultants and interns, teaching a module on public speaking, conducting a mini-class on Excel pivot tables, etc.
- Earned credibility and buy-in for all events by conducting change management meetings prior to Kaizen/RPIW events by facilitating groups so that all feel heard and by role modeling learning from experts on the ground—whether it meant conducting process walks at 5:25AM or rolling up my sleeves in a 5S event for the Surgery Center (ASC)
Academic Medical Centers
Percent Dedicated to
Growth of Others and Self
Languages Fluently Spoken;
Understands Basic Portuguese, French, Quechua
Big Cities Lived in: San Francisco, Chicago,
Los Angeles, New York,
Previous experience in academic medical centers (University of California and Stanford Health Care), community health (Palo Alto Medical Foundation, Sutter Health), technology startups (momedx), and communications/public policy (National Immigration Law Center, Hispanas Organized for Political Equality).
Recent Pro-Bono Speaking Engagements, other than when teaching executives, middle managers, and frontline staff about public speaking and delivering a message to connect with an engaged audience:
• Santa Clara University, guest lecturer for “The Health Care Delivery System,” January 23, 2015
• Hispanic Scholarship Fund’s Silicon Valley Youth Leadership Institute, presenter for
“Social Media: Your profile is forever,” August 8, 2014
• Inaugural Latinas in STEM to Achieve Success (LISTAS) Conference, panel moderator for,
“What can I do with a science degree?” April 26, 2014
• Hispanic Scholarship Fund’s College Camp, presenter for
“The Importance of College,” February 22, 2014